After the forms were placed and rebar tied, my next job was to make concrete for the structural slab. I made the concrete using a basic 3:2:1 mix by volume….3 parts stone, 2 parts sand and 1 part portland. Water is 1/2 part with polymer added..about 8 floz. Actually, I bump up the portland content and tweak the water/polymer mix and have had really good success with it. You just have to be sure to never add too much water…bad for concrete or mortar.
Here is my mixing station…
I don’t have any pictures mid-pour, it was too hectic..working alone byproduct! Once I screeded off the slab, our rescue cat/inspector was right there to check it out.
That was Sunday, and I pulled the forms on Wednesday. As you can see, it’s difficult to do anything without Rusty getting involved.
The drain channel was first packed with broken stone, then leveled out with crushed stone. Parts of the precast will rest on top of the channel, but it is as solid as the concrete.
I don’t anticipate much water draining into the channel, but you should always plan on providing a way for water to escape and not be trapped by masonry. The slab is lightly pitched from center to encourage any water to run out to the channel, should any reach the surface of the slab.
You can see a faint circle on the slab. This is my inside oven diameter and it turned out to be 32″. I added an extension to the back of the slab, because it will support the next step before the brick floor, which is insulation layer. I don’t need to worry about rebar, the concrete mix was bagged 5000psi and even if it cracks, it’s not going anywhere.
I was testing out some pressed concrete methods in my forms today and I won’t know if they will be used or not…at least until Tuesday or Wednesday. I won’t have an oven update for a couple weeks, but I am putting a Readers Choice up next…Sean’s suggestion was jointing tools, and I’ll ad some trowels in for good measure. In addition, I will reveal some of the details of the oven finishes I have planned. Stay tuned!
O.K….Calm down Mr Bean.