Phew!!! FINALLY!!! After a long drawn out process, the base for the oven is done! Overall, I am pretty happy with it and now I can start on the next part of the build. O.K. enough typing, here is the oven as of today. Lets start up front and go around clockwise. Click on any picture for a closer view.
A lot of the bigger corners required quite a bit of chiseling. Natural corners were hard to find. I tried to blend chiseled corners with weathered natural ones (when I had them) which kind of soften the lines…I am trying for an old look here. Another detail that I plan on doing is coating those bright looking keystones with Boiled Linseed Oil
Some corner shots……
The top course will actually have to be mortared in with another row of stone behind the face. This will serve as a bond beam around the top perimeter of the base for when I install the, um ……next design element. There is not even a trowel full of mortar in the stone base right now. I’ll reveal what the new detail is in an upcoming post!
Mason, my #1 helper, is happy that’s done!!! One step closer to wood fired pizza!! Don’t worry parents, I tested the arch right after I set the keystones, before the mortar was even fully cured. And if his 45lb frame caved in the arch, then I need to seek another profession…and run from his mom!!!
Thanks for sticking it out!! New updates to follow soon!