Just a real brief post to follow through on the completed arch, pedestal blocks and hearth. Today, my Dad and I are working on the framing for the roof.
The blocks – after they were fabricated from rough granite. I placed them under the arch to check for fit before I trimmed them for real. A lot of work went into these little things, but every plane is square, so that’s what counts.
After they were cut, I set them on the watertable and then Dad stopped by…so I rooked him into helping me lift the arch into place! (truthfully, he is always willing to help)
Now that I was happy about my clearances and fit, I started carving the hearth. This is the raw form I was working with…funny, it had the same corner broken off as the arch did.
After leveling the surface, I used my template and roughed out the shape. The stone is close to 6″ thick, but needed to cut it down to 2 3/4″.
Hearth is cut to thickness then all the chisel and cut marks are leveled.
Finally everything was smoothed out and polished up to 200 grit. I don’t want a polished look, but a honed finish. The hearth is dark in the picture because I just finished wet sanding it.
I took all the pieces down, then re-assembled them using Lexel, which is a clear rubber sealant. It is good up to 200 degrees, I doubt any part of the stone will get that hot because of the thermal breaks…spaces between the vent arch and the oven and granite.
I wanted to use Lexel because it allows for a dry looking joint, but creates a kind gasket which protects the edges of the stone.