I had an unexpected turn of events, and not wanting to waste an opportunity, I was able to complete the granite arch today. Like the rest of this build, the arch is design as you go, and I was never sure exactly how I was going to carve this thing. I just let things happen, and I am pretty happy with the final product.
The front view. The broken corner was on the right, and as the piece evolved, it made sense to nip the left side. The level area will carry granite veneer for the chimney.
Margins were cut into the face, then I pitched it to round off the middle section. I didn’t want a big flat arch stone, and was thinking in 3D.
One thing that was set firm in my mind was that I wanted to put a bevel on the outer edge of the opening….so I did.
The bevel, arch opening and margins were started with 50 grit on my wet polisher , then hit with 200 grit using a diamond hand pad. I finished it by hand because I didn’t want it shine, but to have a honed look. The imperfections show….. I don’t want this to look totally machine made.
The carving isn’t over yet, I have to made pedestal bases to go under the arch, and the granite landing. More to follow!!