On Wednesday I finished cleaning all the chunks of mortar and lime off the last of the bricks. I have around 220 whole brick with a bunch of half sizes and pieces. There should be enough for the vaults and I can always incorporate stone into it if I run short. These bricks are cool looking (at least to me) because of how irregular they are and I wish I had more. Here’s the stock pile.
Now that the cleaning is done, my next step is going to be figuring out the rib arch so I can make the granite pieces ( voussiors). I have decided to cut them with my chisel and if need be feathers & wedges. This is all the granite I brought down from New England last December.
The wide one in the middle with two small stones on is going to be my one piece carved door….eventually.
Hey Matt — You’ve been busy! This looks like a really cool project. I’m looking forward to continue to follow your progress as it unfolds.
That step project looks pretty similar to a few I’ve tackled this year. I’ll be looking forward to seeing your post on that too.
I’ve been slightly remiss in my blog-following-and-commenting lately. Busy with big summer projects and I was able to squeeze in a little vacay time too. But rest-assured I’m not going anywhere. I’ll still be checking in on your posts and progress — Clark
Matt Sevigny says
Hey Clark! Yeah, granite like that is something I have like to do over anything else for steps. You just cant replicate that look with anything else.